Chicago: Six years later
Six years ago today, I moved to Chicago. Well, technically, six years ago today I started working in Chicago but had only been in the city about 48 hours before then but I don’t actually count that. Coincidentally, just before I moved here, Milwaukee was nailed by 11 inches of snow so this feels right.
I’ve written several times about what brought me here so I won’t bore you with it, instead I thought I’d focus on what I still love about Chicago six years later.
So here’s my Chicagoversery love list:
- The lake – I love it. It’s so peaceful and beautiful, especially in winter when the lake steams from the cold weather
- Food – Yes, Chicago hot dogs are great but really, Chicago has some awesome restaurants, both pricey and cheap. There are always new places to try!
- Downtown – As a kid, my family and I would come to Chicago and shop around downtown. Even though the tourists drive me crazy now, I still love being downtown because it reminds me of these trips
- Public transportation – Even though the CTA is a major FAIL in winter (like today), overall it’s a great system. You can easily get around without needing a car. It’s not perfect, but it could be a lot worse
- The city’s “feeling” – Yes, this sounds crazy but there is something in the air of Chicago that makes me happy and excited to live here. Like at any second, something exciting will happen
- The people – There are a few bad apples here and some clinically crazy people I’ve run in to on the street, but overall, the people of Chicago love living here and I love being one of them
Chicago is the longest relationship I’ve ever been in and I do not regret (even on my worst day) moving down here for the three-month trial run that has now turned in to six years.
I don’t know if Chicago is my long-term future, but for now, I’m glad to be here 🙂
What do you love about your city?